You know it was real this time. At first, you didn’t mind your single status as it was your choice, you said proudly. But when you started attending the weddings of friends, the hope of being the next in line elicited so much anticipation; until you got to the christening of their children and you started wondering where you missed the bus.
What to do when being single hit you like a hot, searing pan? When waiting became a dreaded road than a happy journey? Let me share to you, the things I did to somehow ease the tormenting feeling of being ‘left behind’ (uh-okay I’m kidding!).
But seriously, here are things we can consider while in this particular phase of our journey:
- Know your season. Cliché as it may seem but the fact is there is nothing wrong with you. You don’t need to look for reasons why you still haven’t gotten hitched. There is a season for everything. Where you are at the moment is exactly where God wants you to be. Where God wants you to be is where you are at your most potential to be used by Him.
- Find your niche. What is it that you are good at? Your passion is the ticket for your self-esteem. Find a hobby. Nurture an interest. Once your mind is focused on something other than your being single, you will forget what you think you lack.
- Surround yourself with single friends. Admit it. There are times when loneliness creeps in and haunts us on certain nights. Go out and mingle with people who have the same free time as yours. Their presence will assure you that you are not rocking the boat alone.
- Seek counsel from Godly, married people. They’ve been there and surely they know where you are coming from. Married people will also open your eyes to the reality of being married. Maybe you get all giddy at the prospect of having a husband or a wife that you forget the process of preparation. All my married friends tell me the same thing: Enjoy your singlehood while you can.
- Pray to be a better person. Work to be somebody your future husband or wife will be proud of. Are the fruits of the Spirit working in you in increasing measure? If not, what are the characteristics you need to improve on and ask for more grace with?
Lastly, always remember that each waking day is one step closer to God’s fulfillment of His promises in your life. So if He promised that you are destined for marriage then you will be. It’s only a matter of time. The good thing about time is that it does not operate on human standards but it adheres to the sovereign will of God. So relax, He definitely knows the way you take and has not forgotten you.
Oh I’m never, ever alone!
Through God’s grace I can be on my own.
I tell my heart to never, never fret,
God’s promises have come to pass yet.